Tuesday, October 5, 2010

Why Ritsumeikan?

Throughout the year, many asked me why I decided to study in Ritsumeikan University at the first place. And each time, I gave the same answer. I choose Ritsumeikan because of its name.




In Japanese, Ritsumeikan University is written as follows: 立命館大学. Take the word "Ritsumeikan" only and you will have 3 characters:
1. 立 from the word 立てる (tateru) which means to achieve, to establish.
2. 命 (inochi, いのち) means 'life'
3. 館 (kan) means 'place'
In combination, it literally means "a place to establish one's destiny."

So what it has to do with my decision? There are many other schools which bear meaningful names and big reputation. Why should I finally choose to enter Ritsumeikan? It started from a simple conversation with Ayu when we both in deep confusion of what to do in our life. We both had graduated and worked for some time. But deep inside, we both want to continue our study. We tried to apply for some scholarships but all failed in vain. We both almost gave up and asked to each other, "what will be our future destiny actually?".

In the midst of that confusion, I stumbled upon an announcement of Priority Graduate Program launched by Ritsumeikan University. The university offered a special program for foreign student to study at Ritsumeikan University under Monbukagakusho scholarship. The successful candidate will get a chance to earn master degree through Global Cooperate Program at Department of International Relations. I was scheming the page and decided to read the history of the university. Then, at the end of the page, it says "Ritsumeikan thus means the 'place to establish one's destiny'."

I was startled for a while and soon remembered the conversation I had earlier with Ayu. A place to establish one's destiny. Can I establish my destiny there? As soon as I grasped the meaning, I decided to apply for the program. I tried my best to complete all the requirements and send it in time. Deep down inside, I was hoping I made the right decision and got accepted. The answer came few months later, I was accepted in the university. A university that called it self as a place for its students to established their destiny.

Here I am, two years later, finally at the brink of completing two years master program at Ritsumei. So much had been going in two years. So much I bet I will never able to put every single thing in word. Ritsumei gave me a chance to spread my wings wider, to establish my foundation deeper, and to build my house more beautiful. I had many chance to learn new things, learn new culture. To have a teacher and fellow die hard-er that gave me a sense of family. To have part time job that enables me to see the beauty of teaching. To have an internship that might help me to build my future dream career. To live in Kyoto, one of the most beautiful city in universe, a place now I can call home. But most importantly, to have fellow kenkyushitsu-ers and lounge buddy with whom I share joyful, crazy and wonderful moments together.

Here in Ritsumei, I am living life and creating destiny. And so can you..


Kyoto, 6 September 2010

0 comments:

Post a Comment