Sunday, January 6, 2013

Travel2Europe : Cremona

My European trip began in Milan. We landed at Malpensa airport of Milan and headed straight to Milano Centrale. To reach Milano Centrale, I boarded Malpensa express. Bought the ticket in the booth, validated them (there is a stamp machine in each station, usually green or yellow in color). We forgot to check which line it was. It was a stupid move since it was freezing cold in the morning. So, don't forget to check the schedule that usually appears on the board above the station ticketing office.

So, welcome to minus-6-Celsius Milan. Bbbbbbrrrr... It was cooollllddd! It was nearly 45 minutes journey to Milano Centrale. In between, we were welcomed with italian style of train: late. Retardo, in Italian. So if you heard the word "retardo" being mentioned after the name of your station or city you're going to, it means the train will be late. Well, Italy is no different than Indonesia then, Weekekekeke... Just for info, Italian train has 3 classes. The higher means more expensive ticket. The classes are reguler, freccabianca, and freccarossa. It serves routes to different cities in Italy. This way, Italy is well-connected with its train system I must say. Remind me much of Japan.

When we reached Milano Centrale, all we need to do was to find ticketing office as I need to board a train to Cremona. Cremona is my first destination city as I will spend the next few days with Tia's house family. This is what I wanted. To experience the real life of Italian. Part of a travel is to be with locals and understanding their life style. I boarded regular train to Cremona, at €11. Of course, I need to validate them first, Tia said, if I fail to validate and the station master knew on board, I should pay a fine as much as €50. No way! So don't forget to validate if you board a train in Italy because the validation means putting the name of the station we boarded. So we know where we boarded.

(This is the validation machine)

Train to Cremona took approximately 30 minutes. Upon reaching the station, Tia's father was there to pick us up. But the first test is about to come. No elevator or lift available. And our luggage is sooo heavy. So, muscle test number 1. Better traveling light in Italy because as I ravel in the next few days, most of the stations do not provide lift or elevator.

Cremona's weather was definitely colder than Milan. But not the atmosphere within the family. Italian family is warm and close-knitted. It was my very first day with the Villa family, but I feel most welcomed. They don't speak English, but they tried their best to communicate with me. When the lunch came, the family's sister and cousin came. They are two lovely ladies by the name of Rossana and Sara. They are beautiful people. They can speak English so I can make some conversation.

(Sara, me and Tia @ Cremona)

That very first lunch open my eyes to the dining culture of Italy. Like most European, they split plates. First plate, the appetizer, is pasta. Second plate will be filled with protein, whether it is fish, beef or chicken. Sometime, lasagna is also served for the second plate. Afterward, they can serve salad or pickles. But I cannot handle the pickle. Too sour for my taste bud. Among the second and third plate, there is always bread. I can tell you that the bread really compliments all the dishes served. After all the main course served, come the dessert. Whoala.. Yyuuuummm! Super yuuuummm.. I love Italian dessert. And dessert is always served, a part of the meal itself. Last but not least is coffee or tea. That's another yuuuummm! Italian is so proud of their coffee, starbucks doesn't even have the guts to open even a single store in Italy. So, coffee, here I come...

On this note, i was informed that that's one normal course for Italian family. Normal, yes normal. I wonder how they can stay in shape! Really, they really slim! The book out there says 'how French women dont get fat'or 'how Japanese women stays slim'. For me, 'how Italian stays in shape'. I envy them! If I am going to stay in Italy with that kind of dining pattern, I will gain many kilos in no time.

Plus the chocolate! Oh my God.. They have the best chocolate drink the world. Only to be competed by Spanish chocolate drink, as I learned later in the travel. It is a dark thick chocolate drink. Perfect in the freezing weather. As the family took me around Cremona that night. And as I learned that Italian only spends little time in the cafe. Not like us here who could spend hours and hours sitting in the cafe or coffee shop.

(super duper delicious dark choco drink)

That night on my first stroll around the city, i learnt more about Cremona. It is a musical city. A city proud to be the home to one and only violin maker and inventor, Stradivarius. So, no wonder if many music student and violin makers around the globe flock in Cremona to master their skills. They even have a hall of Stradivarius to remember him.



What amazes me more about the city, they just found an old Rome road used by hundred thousand years ago. They were trying to preserve it and put a glass on the top of the ancient road. Wow! Just wow!

Despite all the cold, Cremona is all in all small beautiful city. The duomo is nice with great building surrounds it. The Duomo itself is the center of the city.





But the best of all about Cremona for me is the warmth of the family. I will never forget it and the warmth as i feel it will last for long. And that, I know for sure.





0 comments:

Post a Comment