Friday, May 29, 2015

When I Am Out in the Field

When I'm out in the field, things are just not the same anymore. I just returned from 2 weeks emergency relief mission in Aceh. Now, while waiting for my return flight to Jakarta, I realized that there are things that will happen only in the field and that things will last forever. 

When I am in the field, eating lunch at 2.00 can be considered as miraculous moment. 

When I am in the field, sleeping at 2 AM is the way to go. With reports to submit and papers to be sorted, sleeping is a luxury. 

When I am in the field, putting on make up is never necessary. Balming face with sunblock and body with mosquito repellent are what made a difference to your health. 

When I am in the field, putting on sweet flat shoes means disaster. I ended up with sandals that will go dirty but sustain your feet from any harm. 

When I am in the field, I take notes note not only with my hands but also with my eyes, ears and mouth. I have to stay alert at all times. 

When I am in the field, my heart and brain needs to be synchronized at all times. That's just how humanitarian worker need to sustain to stay sane. 

When I am in the field, I have to admit that I wait for returning to normal life. With all its luxury and perks. But when that day comes, I left the field with a heavy heart. 

Because I left behind me a group of people whose life has no date of safe return to normal life. That's when I feel that normal life is somehow a privilege. Privilege only to some but not all. That's when I left with a heavy heart. Knowing I have that privilege and they're not. 


So I return to normalcy with a promise. That I will continue to work to bring back the very thing that should be a privilege for all. A happy normal life. 





0 comments:

Post a Comment